Thursday, September 24, 2009

Do As I Say, Not As I Do


(This article originally appeared in MediaPost on August 18, 2009)

As an agency owner, I work with companies across various industries and verticals, and so it strikes me as illogical how many -- even nonprofits -- hire marketing and PR firms to tout their company's abilities to the media and beyond with the exception of marketing (and related) firms. The irony here is that in an industry focused on selling ideas, brands and images, many marketing firms don't practice what they preach. When was the last time
you PR'd or promoted your company in a calculated, consistent and authentic manner? (A canned press release on PRWeb does not count.)

Some time ago, I had a conversation with a client (before he became a client) and asked about his agency's work. "Our work speaks for itself", he told me. Really? "Then why do you want to hire me?" I shot back.

For me, that was the crux right there. Getting others to know who you are and what you do, whether your company is built upon selling tangible goods or marketing those of others. As a marketer, what you do for your clients is something you should be doing for your firm at every opportunity. You know, creating authentic, credible communications. If you aren't committed to your brand or don't convey that same passion about your "products," how can you expect others to?

Read the article on MediaPost in full here, "Do As I Say, Not As I Do"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?