Wednesday, January 4, 2012

So Long 2011, The Year Of Distractions

And welcome 2012, the year of pause, thought and enriching the brain!

It’s been several weeks since I posted anything, which is rather shameful for a blog. My reasons? An insane end-of-year rush to complete client deadlines, several new accounts and the inability to spend any time devoted to feeding my brain or thinking (which almost always leads to my being more productive). Isn’t it ironic that being “busier” actually moved me backwards by the year’s end?

So after two weeks of being immersed in reading and, well, doing nothing, I’m ready to tackle a year that will be filled with less rush and panic-driven deadlines and instead filled with more time to reflect, think, and strategize – which is really what my clients’ are looking to me for. And, most importantly, enjoy life.

This resolution is not unique to me, however. The author Pico Iyer wrote a brilliant piece in the New York times last week - “The Joy of Quiet” – lamenting about the loss of quiet and quiet time.

“We have more and more ways to communicate, as, but less and less to say. Partly because we’re so busy communicating. And we’re rushing to meet so many deadlines that we hardly register that what we need most are lifelines. So what to do? The central paradox of the machines that have made our lives so much brighter, quicker, longer and healthier is that they cannot teach us how to make the best use of them; the information revolution came without an instruction manual. All the data in the world cannot teach us how to sift through data; images don’t show us how to process images. The only way to do justice to our onscreen lives is by summoning exactly the emotional and moral clarity that can’t be found on any screen.”

Iyer was writing about all of us, wasn’t he?

But enough about me. I’ll be back tomorrow with a post on next week’s CES conference in Las Vegas – and why marketers and agencies should be going.

In the meantime, if you haven’t read the The Joy of Quiet I strongly urge you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?