Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Not for Love and Money




Earlier this week, I shared a link on my facebook page: “A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted” after reading a ridiculous article in TIME Magazine about high-rollers stumping up $50,000-$100,000 to find a mate. Can money buy love? Ask any celebrity.


The service's pitch claims that the matchmaking “investment” could prevent them from a costly divorce, and that today people are just too busy to look for a mate. Personally, I find these arguments inherently flawed, for two reasons;

1. Anyone who lists income as a criteria for being matched (or not), is paving the path for a gold-digger. Show me a wealthy man who has found a match with a woman NOT looking for a wealthy mate. True love? Show me the pre-nup, I say!

2. Furthermore, if you are too busy to find a mate yourself, you are probably too busy to have a healthy, fulfilling relationship – mentally, spiritually and physically.


Finding a life companion isn't about matching multiple choice questions and answers, or colour by numbers. Paying someone to take away the responsibility (and in many cases, heartache) of finding the right partner is a guaranteed way – in my mind at least – of NOT finding the right person.


Of course, this is just my opinion. I have not polled any high-rollers or couples who have met through elite matchmakers. But still.


And for the rest of you without a spare $100,000 to spend on lurve, there is MeetMoi, http://www.meetmoi.com/welcome - a new “proximity based dating application.” Proximity may be a criteria to interact, but it really doesn't sound very sexy, does it?


Okay. I am off to contact the MeetMoi founders about helping with their messaging (read the press release they issued yesterday and you'll see what I mean). Then I’m going to test out this concept on my phone - for research purposes only as I’m married.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?